What does it mean to be “responsible”?
What does it mean to be responsible? According to one of the definitions in the Oxford dictionary, it means to be “morally accountable for one’s actions”. For us at Bokser Home, being morally accountable for our actions is a big part of who we are as a company, and as a brand. We are always looking for opportunities to improve how we work internally, and how we bring product to market.
One of the ways we chose to be responsible, is only using down in our pillows and duvet inserts that is certified to the Responsible Down Standard or (RDS). The Responsible Down Standard aims to ensure that down and feathers come from animals that have not been subjected to unnecessary harm.
There are 6 key provisions to the Responsible Down Standard
- Any removal of down and feathers from live birds (live plucking or molt harvesting) is strictly prohibited
- Force feeding is prohibited
- Holistic respect for animal welfare from hatching to slaughter. This includes respecting the animals “five freedoms”
- Freedom from hunger and thirst
- Freedom from discomfort
- Freedom from pain, injury, or disease
- Freedom to express normal behavior
- Freedom from fear and distress
- RDS down and feathers is properly identified to ensure that non-RDS down and feathers are not mistakenly identified as RDS
- Each stage in the supply chain is audited by a professional, third party certification body
- Only products with 100% certified down and feathers can carry the RDS logo
For us at Bokser Home, being morally accountable for our actions is a big part of who we are as a company, and as a brand.
Love your bedding
We want you to love your bedding, and we believe that loving your bedding includes feeling good about how it was manufactured. We spent a considerable amount of time developing our down products. It is important to us that our supply chain is responsible, especially when we are using animal-based materials. The Responsible Down Standard ensures a level of supply chain excellence and it gives us the ability to say that we feel really good about how our product is made.
If you’d like to learn more about the Responsible Down Standard, please visit their website. If you have any additional questions about our product, please visit our contact us page and give us a shout.